New to the Thornton Library:
Descendants of John Pinkerton Sr. of Londonderry, New Hampshire - donated by Sue Williams. This genealogy starts with John Pinkerton Sr., born ca. 1700 in Ireland, and his descendants, some of whom settled in Lamartine twsp., Fond du Lac co. WI. This book contains original photos and clippings of descendants.
Descendants of Jonathan Fairbank through his son, George - donated by Sue Williams. This genealogy starts with Jonathan Fairbank, of Dedham, Mass. born 1594 in Sowerby, Yorkshire, England. This 3-ring binder includes original documents and photos, clippings of descendants who settled in Lamartine, WI.
One interesting item in this genealogy, is a photocopy of a document "found in the cornerstone of United Methodist Church Aug. 1989" and pertaining to the history of the Free Will Baptist Church of Waupun.
"(The original church building is still standing on the corner of Franklin and Madison Streets and is occupied by the Netherlands Reformed Church)" Undated.
The document reads:
The Free Will baptist church of Waupun was organized July 22, 1855 by Elder Dunn, Jones, Curtis and others. The first meeting was held July 28, 1855 at the house of C. L. Loveland. The house was built during the summer of 1856 by a committee elected by the church.
The first meeting in the house was held July 12, 1856. the first pastor was C. H. Smith, succeeded by Revs. R. W. Bryant, E. N. Wright, H. J. Brown, L. D. Felt, A. G. Brande, J. H. Walrath, J. P. Hewes, and J. M. Kayser the present pastor.
The first treasurer was John Sargent. the present treasurer is M. H. Wells.
The first deacon was Wm. Hudson, succeeded by C. L. Loveland, R. Case, L. Sperry and Ellis Whiting and Joseph Fairbank the present de[acon].
The first clerk was H. S. Baily succeeded by C. W. Morford, Eli Johnson, R. Peebles, Eli Johnson and J. Fairbank the present clerk.
The first trustees were H. Wedge, C. Q. Qouland, L. Loveland and C. M. Morford. Succeeded by John Sargent, W. Whiting, W. Sperry, E Sikes and Ellis Whiting, M. B. Johnson and J. Fairbank, the present trustees.
Dated Waupun July 15, 1889, Joseph Fairbank, Church clerk.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
This is one of a continuing series of articles that were published in 1913 in The Reporter.
The town has a town hall located about five miles northeast from the village of Eldorado. This is their voting quarters and also the place of town meetings and other business transactions pertaining to the township.
HUELSMAN WILL BUILD NEW MILL
FOND DU LAC MAN TO CONDUCT GRINDING BUSINESS IN ELDORADO
LOCATED ON OLD SITE
Will replace structure which was razed by fire.
EDWARD ABBS IS A PIONEER
WELL KNOWN RESIDENT OF ELDORADO HAD LIVED THERE HALF CENTURY.
RETIRED FROM FARMING
Came to Wisconsin from east when mere boy
While in Eldorado the reporter representative met Edward Abbs, one of the oldest residents of the township, who has made the village his home for the past two years. Mr. Abbs was born in New York state. When a mere boy his parents came westward choosing Wisconsin as their destination. After reaching the Badger state they decided to locate at Oshkosh.
His father was a machinist and blacksmith by trade and decided to follow his occupation in his new location. He remained in business at Oshkosh for some time and as was the case with many others in the early days, he met with business reverses and decided to retire.
He had resided in the community long enough to see pioneers diligently at work clearing away the great forests and converting them into fields of cultivation. He realized that there was a great future in the agricultural work and decided to adopt it and as a result settled in the town of Eldorado. Like those who preceded him, he toiled with a determination to win. Although there were many difficulties to overcome, his efforts and toiling brought the much sought for results and his reward was the building up of a farm which today is one of the best in the locality.
Brought up on Farm
Edward Abbs was brought up on the farm. As he grew to young manhood he proved of great help to his parents. Farming was his delight. He also saw the future in real agricultural work and upon the retirement of his father he continued the labors. For fifty years he has been a resident of the township and practically all of his time has been devoted to agricultural labors. Like his father he was successful. As time advanced conditions in general improved. He kept abreast with the improvements and when he retired from the farm he felt well compensated for his years of labor. The farm is still owned by Mr. Abbs and is but a short distance from the village. It has been leased by Joseph Kitchen.
HAVE OVERCOME ALL DIFFICULTY
IN SPITE OF HARDSHIPS ELDORADO VILLAGE HAS MADE GOOD
OLD MILL WAS BURNED
Farmers Steadily Devoting More attention to dairying.
Eldorado village is located about ten miles from Fond du lac in Eldorado township. It is unincorporated and is therefore governed by the officials of the township. Although merely a small village there is much activity in evidence. The citizens, both old and young, take pride in their town. Socially and in business enterprises its citizens aim to keep abreast with the times. That they lack many conveniences to be found in cities, they realize, but this only serves to put more vigor in to their efforts to meet the difficulties that confront them. That they are successful to some extent in their various undertakings is best realized after mingling with them.
Mill Was Landmark
Some years ago when the Eldorado flour mill was destroyed by fire the little village lost what may properly be called its old landmark. It was around the mill that a cluster of residences and business houses spring up and formed the village. The mill was built in 1855 and at that time, owing to the scarcity of stores, poor traveling facilities and other things, a mill of this kind was a necessity and proved a great aid to those in the community. As time advanced and the country developed, conditions changed materially and after the destruction of the mill there was considerable speculation as to what would take the place of it. Several business propositions were talking of but did not materialize. Recently a feed mill was erected at the station locality, which is about three-fourths of a mile from the village proper, and steps are now underway for the constructions of a feed mill, upon the site of the old grist mill. Plans for the new mill are given in another column.
That both enterprises will flourish and grow is freely predicted. The country surrounding the village is will settled with progressive and well to do agriculturalists. Large acreages are under cultivation and the land is of the best producing kind. Dairying is also done extensively. Some of the best herds of cattle to be found in the county are owned in this vicinity and are steadily being increased in numbers as the farmers here, as well as in other sections realize that dairying site of the old grist mill. Plans for the new mill are given in another column.
That both enterprise will flourish and grow is freely predicted. The country surrounding the village is well settled with progressive and well to do agriculturalists. Large acreages are under cultivation and the land is of the best producing kind. Dairying is also done extensively. Some of the best herds of cattle to be found in the county are owned in this vicinity and are steadily being increased in numbers as the farmers here, as well as in other sections realize that dairying is an excellent and profitable industry.
That prosperity reigns are best demonstrated by the many improvements that have been made during the past few years. Substantial residences and other farm buildings have been erected and other signs of advancement are also in evidence. The township officers are also aiming to keep in touch with the spirit of progressiveness and road improvements are now receiving their united attention. The officers of this township are: chairmen, Louis Schwertfeger; Supervisors, James Dunn and Frank Westphal; clerk, Louis Heilman; treasure, N. G. white; Assessor, L. Wagner.
HUELSMAN WILL BUILD NEW MILL
FOND DU LAC MAN TO CONDUCT GRINDING BUSINESS IN ELDORADO
LOCATED ON OLD SITE
Will replace structure which was razed by fire.
The citizens of Eldorado and community are filled with much enthusiasm and joy just now and they have just reason to be in such spirit for a matter that has been of deep concern and interest to them for years had finally been solved and means mush for the future interests of the village. The ruins of the old grist mill will no underway for the erection of a new mill upon the site of the old one.
Oscar Huelsman of Fond du Lac has become the owner of the land formerly known as the Scribner property. At the time of making the purchase Mr. Huelsman planned to reconstruct the dam which was washed way during the heavy rain last spring. With the large pond restored ice harvesting was to be drained and devoted to crops.
Learning of the change of the property and the rebuilding of the dam, the Eldorado people used all possible efforts to induce Mr. Huelsman to rebuild the mill. The matter was finally carefully considered by the new owner and as the outlook is very promising it has been decided to build a new mill upon the ruins of the old one. All kinds of grinding will be done in the new mill is not underway and will be rushed to completion. New machinery and other equipment will be installed as soon as the mill is completed.
The new dam is of concrete and other material. The usual water power will be available for the operation of the mill. The water wheels of the old mill will be used for the new one. The combined power of the two which is 80 horsepower. Grinding will be started immediately after the mill is completed. It will be under the management of A. L. Bernier who was in charge of the old mill.
During the winter months’ ice harvesting was the chief occupation in Eldorado. The pond had an area of about 72 acres. People from the entire neighborhood got their supply of ice from this region. Rosendale and Vicinity were also supplied. When the dam went out last spring and there were no signs of rebuilding, the ice question caused some alarm. Now that the dam has been rebuild, the conditions have altered. Mr. Huelsman will engage in extensive harvesting of ice. All ice orders will receive prompt attention during the season. Mr. Bernier will also be in charge of this work for Mr. Huelsman.
Friday, April 22, 2016
In 1913 the Reporter published a series of articles on local village histories. This is another in the series.
Calumetville is thriving place
Has school, business places, fraternal society halls and
Description of Village
Is about mile and quarter north of the harbor
About a mile and a quarter north of Calumet Harbor is the village of Calumetville. It has a district school, fraternal society halls and several business places. Like the village to the south of it, the mail service is given over Peebles route, No. 27.
The general stores of the village are conducted by the Thuerwachter company and Mrs. D. Koenig. The store of the F. Thuerwachter company has been established here for the past thirteen years and until a year ago was owned by Fred Thuerwachter. Albert Thuerwachter is now associated with the former. The firm carries a complete stock of the various lines to be found in a store of this kind and in addition also deals in hardware, paints and oils and farm machinery. The stock is neatly arranged, giving the store a very attractive appearance throughout.
Mrs. D. Koenig is the succerssor of H. Koenig, who died six years ago. The former owner was first engaged in the blacksmith business in the village and later handled farm machinery and also entered into the business now under the management of the new owner. Besides the general line of merchandise, shelf hardware is carried in stock. Neatness is also a predominating feature in this store.
The proprietors of the general stores are well known throughout this section of the community having resided here for a number of years. Both enterprises are doing a thriving business.
Other Business Places
M. Haag is the owner of the village harness shop. He has been located here for a number of years and enjoys a good patronage. He deals in harnesses, robes, blankets and harness supplies in general. He also does harness repairing, aiming to give prompt and satisfactory service.
John Wachter is engaged in the blacksmith business. Horse-shoeing and general repairing are his special lines. He succeeds Ben. Kiesner and has been following his trade here for five years.
Fred Furhman, one of the old settlers of this vicinity, is engaged in the wagon business. His shop is situated at the north end of the village. General repairing is extensively done. He has been following his trade in the neighborhood of twenty years.
Miss Ella Fowler has a milinery store in the village. She carries a good assortment of goods and aims to keep abreast with the times in styles and designs. She has been in business four years.
Jno. Kiesner is the proprietor of one of the saloons. About a year and a half ago he disposed of his business to Hartman and Leitner but last July again assumed charge. In connection with the saloon he has a pool room. The building he occupies is a two story frame structure. The upper floor is used as a lodge hall, being occupied by the Odd Fellows and Rebekahs.
Another saloon in the village is owned by Will Thuerwachter, who has been in the business here for a number of years.
Dr. J. W. Goggins has been practicing medicine and surgery in this community for the past two years succeeding Dr. Werner who removed to Fond du Lac. Dr. Goggins came to the village from Royalton, Waupaca county. He has an extensive practice.
The Modern Woodman of America is one of the orders that has a lodge here, having a membership of forty. The membership has been much larger in former years. The decrease is due to the agitation over the readjustment of rates. Chas. Meehan is the venerable consul; clerk, Fred Thuerwachter and banker, Chas. Wiegand.
The Odd Fellows and Rebekahs are also represented in the village, both lodges having a good membership. A. Thuerwachter is Noble Grand and F. A. Furhman is the secretary of the Odd Fellows. Laura Koenig is at the head of the Rebekahs while Ross Thuerwachter serves as secretary.
The village also has a division of the Turner society. During the past few years there has not been much activity among the Turners, due largely to the small number of Turners residing here now. The hall is now generally used for dancing parties and wedding celebrations.
A district school of one department is located here. The teacher in charge is Miss Helen Domask of Berlin, who is serving her second year. The members of the school board are J. Schwenk, clerk; Herman Burg, director and Albert Thuerwachter, treasurer.
WILL IMPROVE ITS HIGHWAYS
Residents of Calumet Harbor Vote $600 for Good Roads
Has Good Graded School
Mrs. Margaret Thuerwacher and John Moran among oldest settlers.
That the people of Calumet Harbor and Calumet township are progressive and believe in keeping abreast with the times is demonstrated by the fact that the township has voted the sum of $600 for state highway purposes, the same to be available next year. This money used in connection with the appropriation it will receive from the county and state will give the township a fair stretch of state road and much interest is being shown the plan that has thus been adopted by the voters of the township. If the work meets with the approval of the residents, additional appropriations may be expected in this township.
Calumet Harbor has a well organized and established graded school and the pride taken in the institution is sufficient evidence that the people of this community are deeply interested in educational lines and such advancements as are being made throughout the state.
It is a two department school in which the branches of nine grades are taught. The shool term is nine months. Miss May Pygall is the teacher in charge of the upper grades, while Miss Viola Hagerty teaches the lower department grades. Interesting literary programs are given in the school building during the year and much interest is manifested by all in them. The members of the school board are: Director, Jacob Guelig: treasurer, Anton Moersch and clerk, Ben Vogds.
Rural route No. 37 extending from Peebles station covers this territory. The carrier is S. W. Peebles, who has a large number of patrons, as his route covers an extensively settled territory. He has been carrier on this route since it was established about ten years ago.
The officers who look after the affairs of Calumet township are: Chairman, Anton Moersch; supervisors, J. J. Roehrig and Mike Lefeber; clerk, Paul W. Langenfeld; treasurer, Math Mauer and assessor, Joseph Heus.
Among the oldest settlers in the county is Mrs. Margaret Thuerwachter now a resident of Calumet Harbor, who, if she lives until next February, will reach her ninety-seventh birthday anniversary. She is a native of Germany, coming to this country about 1835. Her husband, John Thuerwachter, who has been dead for a number of years was also born in Germany. He came to this country in the early thirties, first settling in Detroit where he remained only a short time. He came to this township in 1841 and it was here where he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Burg. Being one of the earliest settlers in the county Mrs. Thuerwachter experienced the trials and difficulties of the pioneers in this region. She has seen the country develop, by the thrift and industry of its pioneers, into one of the best cultivated agricultural regions in the state. She has resided in the village for a number of years and notwithstanding her age she is unusually active and during the season takes much pleasure and comfort in caring for her home and the little flower and vegetable garden she has in connection with it. Her long residence here has won for her a large circle of friends throughout the entire community and she is held in the highest esteem.
Another respected pioneer of this community sf John Moran who has been a resident of this township for about thirty-seven years. He was formerly a teacher in the schools of this county and at one time was a candidate for the county superintendency. He was a member of Co. G, 36th Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He was at Appomatox at the time of Lee's surrender. Before moving to the township in which he now makes his home he resided in Eldorado.
Business Houses at the Harbor
Bank, Store, Hotel and other Institutions enjoy good patronage
Calumet Harbor is in Calumet township. Its location is an advantageous one in many respects. The township in which it is situated is one of the richest in this part of the state. Crossing it, is one of the best and most traveled highways in the county. The ledge to the east and the lake to the west give an abundance of scenery and add materially to the pleasure of the autoists and others who tour this country.
Have Fine Park
On the shores of the lake, tourists, excursion parties and others find an excellent park for entertainment purposes. H. H. Bergen is the proprietor of this place of public amazement and it is largely through his efforts that the park has become attractive and popular for social functions of various kinds. Mr. Bergen is the owner of a farm consisting of about 120 acres of which thirty acres is now being devoted to park purposes. Berndt and Proctor were the originators of this park in 1893 when they purchased eight acres from Chas. Bergen. Later additional tracts were added to the place of recreation until it attained its present size. In 1897 and 1898 the park was supplied with buildings to be used as a hotel, bowling alley, pavilion, et.
Harbor was improved
H. H. Bergen became proprietor of this popular summer resort in 1907. Four years prior to his acquiring the property the harbor at this point was dredged and other improvements made providing for the landing of the larger boats of the lake. Under the management of Mr. Bergen additional improvements have been noticeable. Today the grounds are dotted with all of the necessary buildings essential to making the spot an ideal summer resort. Several cottages are among the buildings. During the season Mr. Bergen conducts excursions regularly from lake points and upon such occasions has attractive programs arranged for the entertainment of hundreds of guests. Dancing in a pavilon , boating parties, races, baseball and pastimes of such sort are enjoyed.
A Grain Center
Calumet Harbor has become prominent in the county as a grain center. H. H. Bergen and Chas. Bergen are buying extensively and while all kinds of grain are purchased their leading one is barley. During the past several weeks they have purchased over 6,000 bushels of barley weekly, shipping it to the Fond du Lac Malting company. The barley is delivered by the farmers to the dock at the harbor and loaded upon the steamer “Leander Choate” for shipment to Fond du Lac. Other produce and merchandise has also been shipped upon these occasions. Thursday is shipping day and indications are that there will be weekly trips made by the steamer until the lake freezes over. This business feature has proved very successful, much to the satisfaction of the farmers and the promotors. An increased business is assured for next season. The satisfactory prices paid for the barley and the convenience to the producers has had much to do with the success of this venture.
Stockbuying is another leading business enterprise, followed successfully in the village. H. H. Bergen is the stock buyer in this locality and does an extensive business. One or more carloads of stock are shipped to the markets weekly. Malone being the nearest railroad station, shipment are made from this point.
Chas. Bergen is the proprietor of the only general store here and has been engaged in the business continually for the past nineteen years. He is well and favorably known through a territory covering a radius of many miles. He was born on a farm about a mile northwest of the village and remainder there until he entered the business he is now following. Mr. Bergen deals in groceries, dry goods, crockery, shoes, flour, feed, salt, coal, wire fencing, etc. Complete stocks are carried in all lines handled and the patronage is an exceedingly large one. Besides his general business Mr.Bergen has a large farm under his supervision and he is also president of the state bank located here.
The State Bank
An institution that has had much to do with the advancement of this community is the state bank. The Calumet Harbor Farmers State bank was established in 1911. Some years prior to that date a movement had been started to organize a bank and although it was one of the first steps taken in the county for the launching of a financial institution in a place of this size it received much encouragement and every indication pointed to its being successfully started. As time progressed, however, it was deemed advisable not to make the venture at that time and as a result the plan was dropped only to be revived in 1911 when the present bank was organized. Ever since its establishment it has proven its worth to the community and has been a success. The bank has a capital stock of $10,000. The building occupied is a one story brick structure well equipped with banking fixtures and attractively arranged throughout. Besides the general banking business, matters pertaining to conveyances and insurance are given prompt and careful consideration. The total resources of the bank, according to the latest statement secured are $69,760.65. The total deposits are $50,410.84. Each year has shown an increase in business, giving great satisfaction to the officers and directors. Chas. Bergen, who is one of the leading promotors of the institution, is its president. The other officers are: vice president, Anton Moersch; cashier, Arthur Ewald. The board of directors consists of Chas. Bergen, Anton Moersch, Henry Rather, H. H. Bergen, Anton Kait, Chas. Wiegend, Edwin Burg, John Peth and Charles Lohse.
The creamery located here is one of the oldest and largest in the entire county. About thirty years ago the institution was started as a cheese factory by A. P. Brown and was conducted as such for several years. Math. Moersch then became the proprietor and it was changed into a creamery. Six or seven years ago the old building was destroyed by fire and work was at once started on a large and more modern structure. The new building is constructed of cement blocks and is 24 by 72 feet in size. Every important detail has been given the best of attention in the arrangement and equipment of the enterprise. The business is now conducted by Moersch and Son. Q. Moerch is the new member of the firm. The company does a large business. The milk is delivered to the factory and the concern does its own separating. The product is sent throughout the entire county and to various points in the state.
Hotel at Harbor
Calumet Harbor has a hotel that offers excellent accommodations to all visitors. Special attention is given to automobile parties and in this line the house a large patronage throughout the season as it is located on a road that is much traveled by the autoists. This business enterprise was formerly conducted by Lonis Friedman. About a year and half ago the business was purchased by Jos. Gebhardt who is assisted in conducting the business by Grafield Merrill in the sample rooms and his sister Miss Rose Gebhardt, who looks after the kitchen and dining room. Mr. Gebhardt came here from Hilbert where he was formerly located on a farm.
The blacksmithing wants of this locality are carefully looked after by George Reichert who is well known throughout the neighborhood having followed the business for over thirty years.
Wednesday, April 20, 2016
The following article appeared in the 1913 Fond du Lac Reporter, in a series of articles about the history of the small villages in the county.
South Byron Busy Village
Famous Camp Grounds located short distance from place
NO LIQUOR IS SOLD THERE
South Byron is a busy little village about twelve miles south of Fond du Lac on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railway. The little village is well known throughout the state and in neighboring states owing to the Methodist camp grounds which are located a short distance from the village. It is also an important trading center as it has a number of business enterprises needed in a community of that kind.
The Camp Grounds
The annual camp meetings of the Wisconsin conference of the Methodist Episcopal church are held in July of each year at the Byron camp grounds, which are located about a mile north of the village of South Byron. These sessions are largely attended and are of more than ordinary interest. Some of the most noted speakers of the country are secured each year. All of the meetings are held in the large tabernacle which was built a few years ago. There is a large hotel on the grounds for the accommodation of the visitors and a number of cottages have also been built. During the coming year it is planned to erect several more cottages and among the principal improvements will be the erection of a building for children’s headquarters. This will be a five room bungalow and one of the most expensive buildings on the grounds. The Misses Needham of Watertown, who attended the camp meeting sessions last year were so favorably impressed with the meetings and seeing the importance of such a building that they will subscribe the funds necessary for the construction of this building.
A new bath house will be erected north of the hotel and a pneumatic ram will carry water from the spring below the ledge to a tank which will supply the baths.
The camp grounds have impressed all visitors very favorably. The location is one of the most picturesque and historic in the county.
South Byron is in the township of Byron. It is a no license town. The officers of the town are as follows: Chairman, Allen De Voe; supervisors, Chas. Bloohm and August Pelts; clerk, F. E. Howard; treasurer, G. W. Tice and assessor, John H. Simmons. Messrs. Howard and Simmons reside at South Byron and Mr. Tice at Byron, while the other officers live in other parts of the township.
The grain elevator in this village is owned by the Wisconsin Malt and Grain company of Appleton and is under the management of L. C. Coville who has been in charge for the past nine years. All kinds of grains are purchased and the majority of shipments are made to the Appleton headquarters. Flour, feed, salt and western corn are handled by the firm.
The lumber business in the village is in charge of B. E. Sampson, who is well known throughout this county and in neighboring ones. He formerly resided on a farm near the village but for the past six years has been active in the lumber business. He deals in all kinds of lumber and building material. Mr. Sampson also handles all kinds of coal and supplies the trade of the vicinity with seeds and looks after the potato business of this section.
Stores in Village
The L. F. McLean company of this village, dealers in farm implements, is one of the largest of its kind to be found in the county and does an extensive business. Agricultural implements of all kinds are handled while gasoline engines and threshing machines are made a specialty. The company also deals in heavy and shelf hardware and harnesses. It is one of the thriving business enterprises of the county. The company has been doing business here for the past ten years.
This concern recently established a new branch to its business in a building adjoining its hardware store. The new store is in charge of Walter McLean. General merchandise is carried in this store.
The other general store in the village is that of the Stowe Mercantile Co., who have been here for two years succeeding B. Rogers. They carry complete stocks of groceries, dry goods, clothing, rubbers, shoes, confectionery and notions. Recently stocks of hardware, paints and oils were added. In connection with the store there is also a millinery department. Mr. Stowe aims to keep up to date merchandise and thereby has established a thriving business. He is postmaster of South Byron. Mr. Stowe has a private electric lighting system in his store. Last spring this company installed their own cooling plant which was purchased at a cost of $600 from the United Refrigerator & Ice Machine Co., which is a great improvement over the old ice filled refrigerators.
Schultz and Haberkorn are the village blacksmiths and wagon makers. They have a spacious building for their business and enjoy a good patronage. They also do automobile repairing. Farm machinery is also handled and the firm has the agency for the hupmobile autos.
Considerable stock is shipped from this village each week to the Chicago markets. Monday is shipping day. The stock buyer for this territory is George Edwards.
Mound Prairie Farm
S. H. Bird is proprietor of the Mound Prairie Stock farm. Originally Mr. Bird’s farm consisted of one hundred and sixty acres of land but ten acres of it was platted into lots and is now the site of the village of South Byron. Mr. Bird came here from Beaver Dam where he followed the grocery business and was also interested in the poultry business.
Mr. Bird is a breeder of the full blooded Holstein cattle and sells his stock throughout several states, principally Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana. Recently there has been calls for the stock from the western states. The cattle all have official records established by tests under the supervision of the department of agriculture and dairying at the state university.
Poultry is also given special attention on this farm, as Mr. Bird raises and sells the Black Langhans hens, white geese, White Holland turkeys and Indian Runner ducks. The Mound Prairie stock farm is one of the leading stock farms in this section of the state and Mr. Bird gives the breeding of pure bred stock and poultry a great part of his attention.
School and Church
South Byron has a Methodist church. The building was erected about two years ago and is a structure that is a credit to the little village. The building is substantial in every way and has a basement. It is heated by a modern heating plant. The pastor of the church is Rev. E. G. Roberts.
The district school is a one department structure. It has a good basement in which has been installed a modern heating plant. The teacher in charge is Miss O. Martin of Eden. The members of the school board are E. M. Cowles, clerk; Otto Haberkorn, treasurer and S. H. Bird, director.
The agent for the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railway company is P.P. Klock who has been here for five years. He is also in charge of the business of the Wells-Fargo Express company in the village.
Trade Center For District
Village of Byron is active along numerous line.
HAS BIG GENERAL STORE
Elevator, Potato Warehouses and Cream Shipping Also Conducted.
Byron, a small village about ten miles south of Fond du Lac on the Soo line, is a prominent trading point for the community surrounding it. It has two potato warehouses, an elevator, creamery station, general store, etc.
The general store is owned by G. W. Tice, who carries a good stock of dry goods, groceries, shoes, crockery and other lines suitable to the general merchandise business. He also deals extensively in coal, wood, and salt. Mr. Tice owns one of the village warehouses and handles a large amount of potatoes annually. He came here from St. Lawrence, Washington county, several years ago. He was postmaster at that place for a number of years and is now postmaster at Byron.
The Manitowoc Malting company owns the elevator in this village and their business interests are looked after by G. L. Ties. Considerable grain is bought and shipped from here every year by this company. The majority of the shipments are made direct to the company's headquarters at Manitowoc.
Cream Shipping Station
Kee and Chapin of Chicago are the proprietors of the cream shipping station in the village and it is managed by R. A. Yates who came here about a year ago from Fond du Lac where he was associated with Galloway-West company. After being pasteurized the cream is shipped to Chicago.
The other potato warehouse in the village is owned by Henry Grantman who conducts a large general store in Lomira. Mr. Grantman was formerly in business at Eden and is well known throughout this section of the county.
John Kennedy is the proprietor of the blacksmith shop in the village. General repairing in all lines of blacksmithing and horseshoeing are given special attention. He has been here for about three years
H. Wittman is the village barber. The station agent is M. A. Chapman who also looks after the business of the Western Express company at this place.
Byron has a good district school. Miss Maud Doyle is the teacher in charge.
St. John's Catholic church is located about two miles north of the village in a well settled farming community and has a large congregation. The pastor in charge is Rev. Fr. S. Zohlen.
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
Found a collection of negatives in the library archives, and when I got them scanned in, I discovered this collection of photos from a school fair, held Feb. 14, 1956 at Elizabeth Waters school in Fond du Lac. Enjoy, and let me know if you can identify anyone.
Friday, April 1, 2016
Yesterday I was privileged to go on a wonderful tour of the 'Holyland' churches and supper clubs.
It was an awesome experience that I will treasure.
I took some photos on the tour, and just want to share them here.
It was an awesome experience that I will treasure.
I took some photos on the tour, and just want to share them here.
|St. Peter Church, St. Peter, WI|
|St. Lawrence Seminary Chapel, Mt Calvary WI|
|St. John the Baptist, Johnsburg, WI|
|Visitation of St. Mary Church, Marytown, WI|
|St. Ann Church, St. Ann, WI|
|St. Joseph Church, St. Joe, WI|
|St. Cloud Church, St. Cloud, WI|