Monday, December 14, 2015

First Settler in Eden (1913 article)

This is the third of three articles published on Eden, that appeared in The Reporter in 1913.


Eden village has grown steadily since early seventies


Furnishes Good Market Center for Locality

It was in the early seventies that the Chicago and Northwestern Railway company built through Eden to connect it with Fond du Lac. L. Batterson, who owned the farm through which the railroad passed, platted out a town and Mr. Edelman was the first to purchase a tract of land upon which he built a store, which for a time constituted the only business enterprise in the town. Others soon followed and thus the foundation of Eden was laid.

Prior to this time there was not much to arouse the interest of the Eden people. Those who were there realized that the place was surrounded by territory which would ultimately develop into some of the most productive land in the county and that there was a good opportunity for the locality to be numbered among the prosperous and progressive ones of the county. Some years passed however, before there was much change at Eden. Nevertheless, the residents lost neither courage nor faith and as time advanced there were signs of improvement and growth in evidence. Steadily the town grew and as more settlers came s new spirit developed resulting in the building up os a live little village.

Development is Rapid

During the past few years the development has been a noticeable feature and has inspired all with renewed vigor. It was during this period that the residents began talking incorporation. They considered this move necessary to insure better streets, walks and improvements of a like-nature. After being satisfied that they had the population required by law to incorporate, the preliminary steps were taken, and once started on the project it was pusyhed through successfully.

It was in 1912 that Eden became inforporated. The new system of government is giving general satisfaction for since its adoption there has been much progress. The streets which had been little better than passable are constantly being improved by the construction of concrete curbs and gutters and the establishing of macadam streets. Cement walks are also becoming numerous. These things have developed new inspirations thereby making Eden a much improved cillage in every detail.

Village Officers

The village officers are President J. E. McCarty; trustees John Graham, George Flood, M. McCarty, Frank Briggs, Jno. O’Brien and Frank Rehorst; clerk William Mahoney; treasurer F. Seiloff; assessor R. Bauer.  They are all progressive citizens and have Eden’s future and welfare at hears. In their earnest efforts to improve the village they are given liberal support by the business men and people in general.

A plan which is not receiving the attention of the officers is the proposed erection of a village hall. The organization of a new fire department and securing necessary apparatus for fire fighting is also being considered.

Has Two Elevators

The village of Eden has two large elevators the owners of which purchase all lines of products raised in the community. This has established an excellent market at the village and the farmers of the surrounding country are making extensice use of the same. During this season of the year the elevators are scenes of activity daily. Considerable produce is being shipped to the Milwaukee and Chicago markets. All business enterprises are thriving. Eden’s business activities have never been greater than at present. The aim is to hold all trade at Eden that is possible and having good marketing conditions the merchants are meeting with more ordinary success in their plans.


Eden's Powerplant in 1913

This is another of the articles written about Eden, and published in The Reporter in 1913. 


Village of Eden has Modern Lighting Facilities

Miss O’Brien Heads Concern

System Has Given General Satisfaction Since Installation

The village of Eden has an electric light plant, the equipment of which is large enough to supply the village with all the electric conveniences it will need for sometime. The progressive spirit that has been in evidence for the past three years and resulted in the establishment of a bank, incorporation as a village and the street improvements has awakened the business men and citizens in general so that there is now a feeling among all that Eden is large enough to successfully launch any proposition that would mean the betterment of the village.  It was this sort of spirit that prompted the organizers of the light company to install the lighting system.

The concern is known as the Eden Electric Light company. Miss Kate O’Brien is president; Frank Sieloff, vice president and general manager; and Mrs. John O’Brien, secretary and treasurer. Dr. Thos. O’Brien of St. Nazianz, Manitowoc county, is also one of the promoters.

The plant is equipped with a 110 volt generator with storage batteries providing constant service. It is run by a huge gasoline engine. The plant is of large enough capacity to take care of the entire village and street lights can also be operated when the village is prepared to install such lighting system which will probably be within the course of a short time.

The plant was installed a few months ago and fifteen subscribers are now patronizing the company. New applications are being received. It is expected that soon the service will be general throughout the village. Those who are using the system are highly pleased with it and are predicting a bright future for the enterprise. There was much interest shown at the time of its installation and its successful operation is creating an abundance of enthusiasm. The promoters are also well satisfied with the encouragement and support that they are receiving from all sides and realize that there progressiveness is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Dotyville 1913

This is another in a series of articles published in The Reporter in 1913.  The story features the history of many businesses in small communities in Fond du Lac county.


Dotyville is situated in sections 19 and 20 of the town of Forest, about ten miles directly east of Fond du Lac. The post office has been discontinued and the mail service is now received over two rural routes, the section line which divides the little village being the boundary line of the routes. The routes entering here are number 8 out of the city of Fond du Lac and 36 out of Eden. The officers of the town of Forest are as follows: Chairman, Peter Loehr; clerk Hugh Foy; treasurer Alex Leonard; assessor Charles Kohlman.

Churches and Schools

The church at Dotyville is St. Michael’s Catholic church. Rev. Fr. R. A. Kraemer is the pastor. He has been in this locality for a number of years and is well known throughout the county and state. He has a large congregation. In connection with the church there is a parochial school which is in charge of Sisters. The building is a two story structure and is well arranged for school purposes. In the town of Forest and within a short distance of Dotyville are two Lutheran churches.

Dotyville also has a public school. Lina Mertes has been the teacher for the past two years and has been reengaged for this term. Her home is in Dotyville.


The little village has a new physician. Dr. P. G. McCabe established offices here about a month ago. He was graduated from Marquette college, Milwaukee with the class of 1911. Before locating in Dotyville, Dr. McCabe was engaged in work in a Minneapolis hospital.

Cheese Factory, Stores, etc.

George Basler conducts the cheese factory which has a very large patronage. An average of over 12,000 pounds of milk are received daily. The factory is run by steam power. The product is shipped to the Zinke company of Fond du Lac.

N. Huberty, who has been in Dotyville for the past twelve years and who is well known throughout this section of the county, is proprietor of one of the general stores here. He deals in grocery, dry goods, gent’s furnishings, shoes, crockery, notions and flour.

J. L. Morgan has been in the general store and saloon business in Dotyville for the past eight years. He is well known here. John Richardson and Clyde Orglesby are the blacksmiths for this locality.
The hardware store is owned by Anton Lefeber. Besides dealing in shelf and heavy hardware, Mr. Lefeber does Tinsmithing. He also deals in gasoline engines.

M. Brost conducts a saloon. He is also engaged in the hotel business and gives a special attention to serving auto parties. He is also proprietor for the Dotyville dance hall.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Dundee in 1913

The Reporter in 1913 published feature pages on the history of the outlying villages in the county.  This is the next in a continuing series on those villages.


Dundee is a thriving village, it is situated in sections 25 and 26 of the township of Osceola, which is located in the southeastern part of the county. It is governed by the officers of the town who are as follows: Chairman W. L. Calvey; clerk George Twohig; treasurer H. Dins; assessor James Fuller. This township receives its mail service over two different rural routes via St. Cloud 42 and Campbellsport 34. The village of Dundee itself receives mail over the latter named route.

Pleasure seekers and summer resorters can find much in this vicinity for their comfort. There are ideal places here to spend the summer vacations and to get away from the busy whirl of city life and business activities. There are a number of lakes in the vicinity surrounded by picturesque scenery. The body of water most generally known and mentioned is Long Lake. That many take advantage of the splendid outing facilities and opportunities offered there is best shown by the number of summer cottages on the shores of the lake. A drive through this locality cannot but inspire one with the longings for such comforts and pleasures as abound in this region. Practically the whole route along the shores of the lake is a beautiful picture of the work of nature. The effects at all seasons of the year are such as fill all observers with a feeling of admiration.

In the village itself is to be found such business enterprises as are necessary to meet the wants of the settlers. There are also schools, churches and places for amusement.

General Stores

There are two general merchandise stores there. W. L. Calvey is the proprietor of one, having engaged in the present trade five years this fall. He has a complete line of all wares to be found in a store of this kind. Special attention has been given to the arrangement of the stock.

Chas. Jandrey is the proprietor of the other general store. His former home was in Neenah. He has located in the village for a number of years and has served as clerk of the township. His line of merchandise is complete in every particular and his stock of goods are neatly arranged.

Cheese Factory

The cheese factory is under the supervision of Charles Baetz, who has been located here for some time. The factory is operated the year round and on the average of about 5,000 pounds of milk is received daily.


The village has two blacksmith shops. General blacksmithing, horseshoeing and wagon repairing are given attention. The shops are conducted by Ernst Hegler, who came here recently from New Prospect and John Eggers. The latter also gives attention to automobile repairing.

Other Business Places

Henry Wittenberg conducts a saloon and pool room. He is also proprietor of a large hall in which dances are given throughout the year. The village has another saloon which is under the management of J. J. Mangan who has been here for the past two years. He is also proprietor of the Dundee Hotel.

Feed Mill

M. Shenk owns and conducts the feed mill. Grinding of feed is his general work, and he does an extensive business in this line.

Churches and Schools

Two churches are located there. The Lutheran church has for its pastor A. C. Appler, who has been in charge for one year. The other church which is of the Catholic denomination has the Rev. Fr. L. P. Kraus of Armstrong for its pastor.

A new school district has been organized here and a new building erected, the work of construction being done by contractor Brunett of Fond du Lac. Miss Adell Calhoun of Campbellsport is the teacher in charge. The school has an enrollment of 35 pupils.

Armstrong 1913

This is another of the articles published in The Reporter in 1913, about the history of many of the small communities in Fond du Lac County.

Armstrong Corners, formerly known as Armstrong post office, is situated in the northeast corner of the township of Osceola. It is about seventeen miles from Fond du Lac and nine miles from Eden. Since the discontinuation of the post office here the people of the community are served in this capacity by rural route 42 which extends out of St. Cloud.

Armstrong Corners is the home of the Church of Angels which is of the Catholic denomination. The church being situated in the center of a well settled community it has a large congregation supporting it. Rev. A. P. Kraus is the pastor in charge having come here last spring.

Business Places

The C. L. Pool general merchandise store is the only business of that kind in the immediate neighborhood. It was established twenty years ago. The two story building now occupied was erected nine years ago. Groceries, dry goods, crockery, shoes, notions, etc., are handled. A saloon is also conducted by the proprietors of the store.

The upper floor of the building is used as a dance hall. Dancing parties, wedding celebrations and other entertainments are given in the hall. Holiday dances are a specialty.
The blacksmith shop in this locality is owned by John O’Malley who does general blacksmithing and horse shoeing.

Martin Gallagher is the owner of the Armstrong cheese factory, being in charge for the past six years. The factory is operated by steam power. The average amount of milk received during the year is about 8,000 pounds per day. The output of the factory is shipped to Davis Brothers at Plymouth.

new on the website

New information is always getting added to the library, and now you can find some things on our website.

The cemetery inscriptions for St. Joes / Calvary Cemetery of Waupun, are now online and can be found on our website.  One list shows burials by lot and block number, with a secondary list showing the burials in alphabetical order.

Also, many marriage applications have been added to our collection, and so an updated index to the marriage application list is now online.

go to      then select   'Education' menu, and then the 'Library' tab.

Eden in 1913

The reporter in Fond du Lac, featured many of the smaller communities in the county during 1913.  They published a full page spread of a particular community, which included the history of the village and the current status of the local businesses.   What follows is one of those featured communities:

Eden is Abreast With Times




Customers Given Best of Service – Description of the Village

That Eden lies in the center of one of the most productive agricultural sections in this part of the state is well known by all who are acquainted with the country. The section developed rapidly, especially in the past several years, and the progressive farmers grew in number. These conditions meant a greater future for the village. For years Eden realized that a banking institution was one of the business enterprises it was greatly in need of and after some united activity a bank was launched.

Bank Established

The Eden State Bank was organized in 1910 with a capital stock of $15,000. A modern two story brick structure with a handsome stone front was erected in the center of the business part of the village. The lower floor of the building is used for the banking business, which consists of general banking, insurance and conveyances. The upper floor is used for offices while the basement is the home of a restaurant, being well fitted for that purpose. The cost of the building and bank fixtures was in the neighborhood of $10,000. The officers of the bank are President, Wm. Nast Sr.; vice president Martin Kaeding; cashier W. J. Nast. These with the following gentlemen comprise the board of directors: George Flood, H. A. Kaeding and George W. Nast. As was predicted the bank has enjoyed a good business ever since its organization and is growing rapidly. The deposits are $143,000.

Cheese Factory

Nast Brothers and R. P. Bauer are the proprietors of the Mammoth spring Cheese and butter factory which is located at Eden. The building is one of the neatest and best equipped to be found in the county. Mr. Bauer is in charge of the factory. From 6,500 to 12,000 pounds of milk are received daily, depending upon the season of the year.

Lumber Yard

The Henry Grahl Lumber company conducts the village lumber yard, dealing in all lines of lumber, lath, shingles, building material and wood. Spacious lumber sheds provide places of storage for the stocks, thus assuring customers that the lumber and other things handled is in the best of condition. A thriving business is done.


One of the large elevators of the village is owned by John O’Brien, who has been in business here the past nine years. He buys and ships all kinds of grain and also deals in coal and wood. The elevator is a modern structure and of good capacity. Besides the elevator he owns a potato house and engages in this line of the farmers’ product extensively. There is also a feed mill under his supervision.
Flood and Hildebrand are the owners of the other elevator. Mr. Flood is the senior member of the firm and has been in business at Eden for a number of years. This elevator is also of large capacity and well adapted for the line of business. Buying and shipping of grains and potatoes is done on a large scale. The company deals extensively in cabbage. All kinds of coal are handles in connection with this enterprise.

Stock Shipping

John and Gustave Rholfs are the stock buyers here. They have been here for many years and are doing an excellent business. They ship to the Chicago markets. Wednesday is their shipping Day.

General Merchandise

The village has some well stocked stores.  F. O Briggs is the owner of one of these establishments. He deals in groceries, dry goods, crockery and notions. In fact, everything to be found in the general merchandise line is handled by him. He also owns a hay press and does a good business. He ships many carloads of hay during the year to the Milwaukee, Chicago and other markets.
Flood and Hildebrand is another of the enterprising and progressive general merchandise firms of the village. Mr. Flood has been active in the business for sixteen years while Mr. Hildebrand has been associated with him as a partner for the past five years. The firm occupies a large building and deals in all lines of goods to be found in a general merchandise store. Both are well known in the community. They report business very good and constantly increasing.

Jno. O’Brien has been in the general merchandise business in the village for the past nine years, succeeding Henry Grantman, who is now located at Lomira. He is a son of Patrick O’Brien, who died twelve years ago. He is no stranger in this community, having lived on a farm near Eden for Many years. He is still owner of a large farm in this vicinity. Since taking over the business from Mr. Grantman, he had enlarged the stock and his business is also more extensive. Mr. O’Brien also owns a large hardware store. The building is 30 by 100. Besides carrying the general lines of hardware he deals in farm machinery, engines, eave troughs, lightning rods, etc.  He has the agency for the Jackson and Hupmobile automobiles in this vicinity.


Mathew McCarty has been a resident of the village for many years. For about eighteen years he has been engaged in the hardware business, carrying a line of shelf and heavy hardware. Tinsmithing is also given attention and some farm machinery is handled.


The village has a very neat little restaurant located in the basement of the bank building.  The proprietor is Miss Jessie Meade. Special attention is given to the serving of meals. A full line of confectionery is also kept in stock. She conducts an ice cream parlor in connection with the business.

Hotel and Saloons

The Eden hotel is under the supervision of R. E. Salter, who has been in charge for about five years. Recently some improvements have been made. In connection with the hotel he conducts a saloon. He is also proprietor of the Eden livery. Mr. Salter formerly resided in the town of Byron, and is well known in Eden and vicinity. A new barn has just been completed.
John H. Fitzpatrick has conducted a saloon here for the past twelve years. He has lived in the vicinity for over twenty years, removing from a farm when he came to Eden to follow his present business.
M. F. Smith, formerly a farmer near Eden, has been a resident of the village for the past three years. He now conducts a saloon and also has hotel accommodations.
John M. Burnell, like his competitors, was also a farmer before coming to Eden to engage in the saloon business which he has followed for the past eleven years.


Chas Hildebrand is the village blacksmith. General blacksmithing, horseshoeing and repairing of wagons, buggies and automobiles are his lines. He has been engaged in business for a long time.

Harness Shop

The owner of the harness shop is Frank Moerchen. He has followed the trade for a quarter of a century and for the past eighteen years has been in Eden. He also carries a line of handmade shoes and does general shoe repairing.

Meat Markets

John Burnell, nine years ago started a meat market in the village. Up to that time the village was without a shop of that nature.  The business has proved a successful venture. Another meat market in the village is conducted by F. Seybold.


Elmer Wright does the tonsorial work for the villagers and the residents of the community. He has been in business here for four years.

For The Ailing

Dr. J. E. McCarty, a graduate of the dentist department of Marquette college, Milwaukee, enjoys a good dentist practice. He has been located here three years. Prior to this he practiced at Lomira and was also in Fond du lac.
Dr. William Lyons, who is also a graduate of the medical department of Marquette college, being a member of the class of 1911, is the Eden physician and surgeon. He has been here since his graduation from the college. The offices of Mr. Lyons and McCarty are on the second floor of the bank building.

Postmaster and Agent

The postmaster of Eden is F. O. Briggs. The office is located in his general store. He has been in the service the past eight years. Two rural routes extend from the village, known as Nos. 35 and 36. Sam M. Kuter is carrier on the former, while W. F. Burns looks after the interests of the patrons of the latter.
The men in charge of the depot are Adolph Schaefer and Frank Rehorst. The business in the express line is also handled at the depot, the American Express company being represented there.

Village School

As yet the village is not the home of a high school. There is a district school in the village of which Miss Maggie Bellemy of Taycheedah is the teacher.


St. Mary’s Catholic church is the only edifice in the village. As early as the fifties a church of this denomination was established here.  Since then new buildings have been ere4cted as conditions warranted. The present edifice was built about twenty years ago. Rev. Fr. James R. McFarland is pastor and has been in charge for over eighteen years.  The interior of the church has been beautified recently. Among the most noticeable improvement is the electric lighting system that was installed by the Eden Electric Light company. The fixtures are of modern and handsome designs. Special mention is due the effective way in which the side and main altars have been provided with lights. The color scheme, green predominating, has been carried out in a most artistic manner, being in many cases superior to the beauty of similar arrangements in the churches of cities. These improvements meant an expenditure of considerable money. Rev. McFarland, Dr. O’Brien of St. Nazianz, Mr. O’Brien and sisters and the Mahoney family, of Eden, were among the contributors to the fund which was necessary to meet the cost of the work.
Rev. McFarland, who has been in charge of the church for many years, is well known throughout the county and state. He is thoroughly progressive and can always be depended upon as a leading figure in all that is good for the community. He desires to see improvements and does not hesitate to help promote any good undertaking. He wants to see Eden improve and takes great delight in giving his assistance. He is well pleased with the advancement of the village in the past few years and hopes for the continuation of the good work.

Lodge Halls

There are two lodge halls in Eden, the Catholic Order of Foresters hall and that owned by the Modern Woodmen. The former was built eleven years ago while the latter was constructed two years later. They are both large two story structures and are well adapted for lodge purposes, dancing and shows. Other conveniences have also been provided for. The Chief Ranger of the Foresters is Henry Braun, while E. J. Hayes is secretary. The Venerable Consul of the M. W. A society is H. A. kaeding and F. O. Briggs is clerk. 


In Eden as well as elsewhere the cement business is rapidly coming to the front. The contractors in this line are Otto Schwartz and Braatz Brothers.

[NOTE: there are two more articles on Eden that accompanied this article.  The first article is titled "Edelman was first Settler", and the second article is titled "Electric Plant is Establishe".]

Thursday, November 19, 2015

one room schools

The one room schools have all but disappeared from the landscape of the county, but today I discovered some slides of these wonderful old places of learning.

Top on my list are these pictures of John Marshall school.  It was located on County V in the Town of Fond du Lac, and this is the school where my dad and all his siblings got their education.
I have looked for a picture of this school for years!!!

Another school picture I found today, was the Nels Anderson School.  This was in section 2, Township of Byron.

The following two pictures were just labeled "Estabrooks School"

Finally, the picture of this small building was labeled as being the school near Empire Cemetery. Not sure what it's name would be, but it is probably Hill Crest School.

Monday, November 9, 2015

pictures to remember

Sometimes when sorting through and adding photos to the collection of the Historical society, you can't help but remember something unusual about a photo, even when there are no names of the person being photographed.

This unusual plaid dress can't soon be forgotten.

And who will ever forget the long hair on these two girls.

Now, after enjoying these pictures, sit down right now and start to label your own photo collection!

Monday, November 2, 2015

Friday, October 30, 2015

Hamilton in 1913

Many small communities in Fond du Lac county, were once thriving locations.  Thanks to a 1913 newspaper, (and my volunteer, John B.)  I have several articles about these communities, and their history.

see below for a transcription of this article.

These photos accompanied the article on Hamilton in the 1913 newspaper.

"Hamilton is a small hamlet about seven miles south of Fond du Lac on the Soo Line.  The main enterprise there is the plant of the Union Lime company whose headquarters are in Milwaukee. Besides the plant at Hamilton the company has five others which are located at the following places: Marblehead, High Cliff, Brillion, Grimm and Hayton.

The plant at Hamilton consists of five lime kilns, a stone crusher and a pulverizing machine. During the greater part of the year a force of fifty men is employed. The product of the lime kilns is shipped in large quantities to Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois and Indiana besides many points within Wisconsin.

The pulverizing machine is used for the grinding of rock into fine material which is used for fertilizing purposes upon the lands in various  parts of the state. This has been somewhat of an experimental proposition but has produced very satisfactory results wherever used and has resulted in a greater demand for the product each year.

The product of the stone crusher is also extensively used. It is in great demand for concrete work and also for the construction and repairing of highways.

During the coming spring the company plans to install a large hoisting equipment which will be used for raising the stone to be manufactured into the products of the plant. the equipment will be operated by gasoline power.

Anderson is Manager

Louis Anderson is manager of the company's business at Hamilton while H. C. Anderson is the bookkeeper and has charge of the office.  The engineer of the plant is J. A. Hirst, formerly of Fond du Lac, and who at one time was in the employ of the Soo line at North Fond du Lac.

The only store in the place is under the supervision of J. A. Hirst who deals principally in groceries, notions and flour. He has been a resident of the place for the past five years.

The agent of the Soo line at Hamilton is G. A. Meyer who has served the company here for four years. He is also the postmaster, the office being in the depot. The express company serving this place is the Western, and its business is in charge of Mr. Meyer."

The Reporter, Dec. 16, 1913

The office building that was in the quarry, can still be seen today.  It is now used as the Photographer's Studio on the grounds of the Galloway House and Village.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mystery photo

Does anyone know what this is about?  This is a request from another FDL historian.

This photo was taken about 1890 in Fond du Lac. (The photographer Herman J. Buss started in business around 1887.)

The young man seated at left was J. West Dittmar (1872-1956), who resided his entire life at 92 West Division Street in Fond du Lac. He was a Corporal in Company E (Fond du Lac) of the 2nd Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and  he served in Cuba with that company in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. 

Was there a nautical club or group that they all belonged to??

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Breeders Gazette

Today is National Farmers Day, and if you live in Wisconsin chances are that you have some farming ancestry somewhere.  One of the reference works that we have in the library is The Breeders Gazette, a National Farm Magazine, so I thought that I would post a few of the pictures featured in the issues that we have from 1899. A one year subscription to this magazine cost $2.

We have a bound collection of issues from July to Dec 1899.

For their Christmas issue in 1899, they printed full sized photos of many breeds of farm animals.

Shorthorn Bull


Hereford Bull Calf

Jersey Bull

Monday, October 5, 2015

Eden-Ashford School District #4

Among the many old ledgers packed away in the library archives, is one volume relating to the expenses of running the local school.  The first entry is dated Dec 19, 1868, and is a payment to Miles Lytten of $5.00  for repairs.  Then on Dec 23, 1869 J. C. Divers is paid his teachers wages of $20.
On Feb. 4, 1869 J.C. Divers is paid $26 for teachers wages, and then on March 24, 1869 he is paid $174.35.

Further pages show expenses for 1892, and in this year  Genevieve Doyle is paid $129.00 for teachers wages.  They also paid $9 for a dictionary, and 20 cents for a box of chalk. A tin cup and dipper cost 30 cents.

In 1916 there must have been some work done on the building, because there are a lot of expenses for shingles, and labor for masonry work.

Quite a picture of what it took to operate a school, and how the many neighbors all participated in the upkeep of the building, as well as furnishing the wood to keep it heated.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

McCulloughs Dry Goods Store, Campbellsport

You never know what will turn up when you are cataloging books.  This week, I was cataloging a box of business ledgers, and most of the old books did not have a company name in them.

Then I came across one, where the names on the ledger sounded like familiar names from the Campbellsport area, and I had to check deeper

This is a ledger from Jas. McCullogh, who sold Dry Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, Crockery and Glassware.  The entries start on Jan. 1, 1884.

The page on the left shows an entry for Nick Gantner.  He purchased 2 lb. sugar, 1/2 gal. molasses, 2 spools of thread, and 2 pieces of candy.....all for 51 cents.

Here is a list of some of the surnames that are found in the 1884 ledger for Jas. McCullough's store in Campbellsport:  (see previous post)


Friday, September 25, 2015


The Thornton Research Library now has a separate page on the FDL Co. Historical Society's website.  It is still not complete, but one by one you will find the indexes to our many collections.

Check it out, and stop by often to see what's new.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Main St Boathouses in Lakeside Park

Lakeside Park was originally a swampland and not at all what it appears today. The following pictures were taken by Langdon Divers, and show what the park was like in the early days.

Langdon was standing on the edge of Main St., (about where the train engine is now) and these boathouses are just to the east of Main St.  If you look closely, you can barely make out the top of the bandstand just behind the second row of boathouses.
Here is a summer photo of the same boathouses, but with all of the growth that clearly defines the channels through the swampland.

This photo shows the newly constructed stone bridge, which is easily recognizable today.

Old Lakeside Park

Few people loved Lakeside Park as much as Fond du Lac native Langdon Divers. He had a camera with him in the early 1920's, rode bikes around the lake in the summer, and went ice-boating in the winter.  Thanks to his collection of photos, we know that there were free swimming schools, and the swimming 'chute' was rebuilt after a summer storm. All of the following photos were taken in the early 1920's.

This is a photo of the first 'chute' built for swimmers into Lake Winnebago.

This photo shows the walkway leading to the chute.

Here Langdon took a shot of the walkway in the winter time. Dated Jan. 1925.

Who, but Langdon Divers, would take a camera to the top of the 60 foot chute, and take a picture of the actual chute as a friend obviously landed in the water. Dated July 12, 1921.

Another winter scene on the lake, showing a large ice-skating scene in 1922.

Ice boats on the lake by the chutes