Calumetville is thriving place
Has school, business places, fraternal society halls and
Description of Village
Is about mile and quarter north of the harbor
About a mile and a quarter north of Calumet Harbor is the village of Calumetville. It has a district school, fraternal society halls and several business places. Like the village to the south of it, the mail service is given over Peebles route, No. 27.
The general stores of the village are conducted by the Thuerwachter company and Mrs. D. Koenig. The store of the F. Thuerwachter company has been established here for the past thirteen years and until a year ago was owned by Fred Thuerwachter. Albert Thuerwachter is now associated with the former. The firm carries a complete stock of the various lines to be found in a store of this kind and in addition also deals in hardware, paints and oils and farm machinery. The stock is neatly arranged, giving the store a very attractive appearance throughout.
Mrs. D. Koenig is the succerssor of H. Koenig, who died six years ago. The former owner was first engaged in the blacksmith business in the village and later handled farm machinery and also entered into the business now under the management of the new owner. Besides the general line of merchandise, shelf hardware is carried in stock. Neatness is also a predominating feature in this store.
The proprietors of the general stores are well known throughout this section of the community having resided here for a number of years. Both enterprises are doing a thriving business.
Other Business Places
M. Haag is the owner of the village harness shop. He has been located here for a number of years and enjoys a good patronage. He deals in harnesses, robes, blankets and harness supplies in general. He also does harness repairing, aiming to give prompt and satisfactory service.
John Wachter is engaged in the blacksmith business. Horse-shoeing and general repairing are his special lines. He succeeds Ben. Kiesner and has been following his trade here for five years.
Fred Furhman, one of the old settlers of this vicinity, is engaged in the wagon business. His shop is situated at the north end of the village. General repairing is extensively done. He has been following his trade in the neighborhood of twenty years.
Miss Ella Fowler has a milinery store in the village. She carries a good assortment of goods and aims to keep abreast with the times in styles and designs. She has been in business four years.
Jno. Kiesner is the proprietor of one of the saloons. About a year and a half ago he disposed of his business to Hartman and Leitner but last July again assumed charge. In connection with the saloon he has a pool room. The building he occupies is a two story frame structure. The upper floor is used as a lodge hall, being occupied by the Odd Fellows and Rebekahs.
Another saloon in the village is owned by Will Thuerwachter, who has been in the business here for a number of years.
Dr. J. W. Goggins has been practicing medicine and surgery in this community for the past two years succeeding Dr. Werner who removed to Fond du Lac. Dr. Goggins came to the village from Royalton, Waupaca county. He has an extensive practice.
The Modern Woodman of America is one of the orders that has a lodge here, having a membership of forty. The membership has been much larger in former years. The decrease is due to the agitation over the readjustment of rates. Chas. Meehan is the venerable consul; clerk, Fred Thuerwachter and banker, Chas. Wiegand.
The Odd Fellows and Rebekahs are also represented in the village, both lodges having a good membership. A. Thuerwachter is Noble Grand and F. A. Furhman is the secretary of the Odd Fellows. Laura Koenig is at the head of the Rebekahs while Ross Thuerwachter serves as secretary.
The village also has a division of the Turner society. During the past few years there has not been much activity among the Turners, due largely to the small number of Turners residing here now. The hall is now generally used for dancing parties and wedding celebrations.
A district school of one department is located here. The teacher in charge is Miss Helen Domask of Berlin, who is serving her second year. The members of the school board are J. Schwenk, clerk; Herman Burg, director and Albert Thuerwachter, treasurer.
WILL IMPROVE ITS HIGHWAYS
Residents of Calumet Harbor Vote $600 for Good Roads
Has Good Graded School
Mrs. Margaret Thuerwacher and John Moran among oldest settlers.
That the people of Calumet Harbor and Calumet township are progressive and believe in keeping abreast with the times is demonstrated by the fact that the township has voted the sum of $600 for state highway purposes, the same to be available next year. This money used in connection with the appropriation it will receive from the county and state will give the township a fair stretch of state road and much interest is being shown the plan that has thus been adopted by the voters of the township. If the work meets with the approval of the residents, additional appropriations may be expected in this township.
Calumet Harbor has a well organized and established graded school and the pride taken in the institution is sufficient evidence that the people of this community are deeply interested in educational lines and such advancements as are being made throughout the state.
It is a two department school in which the branches of nine grades are taught. The shool term is nine months. Miss May Pygall is the teacher in charge of the upper grades, while Miss Viola Hagerty teaches the lower department grades. Interesting literary programs are given in the school building during the year and much interest is manifested by all in them. The members of the school board are: Director, Jacob Guelig: treasurer, Anton Moersch and clerk, Ben Vogds.
Rural route No. 37 extending from Peebles station covers this territory. The carrier is S. W. Peebles, who has a large number of patrons, as his route covers an extensively settled territory. He has been carrier on this route since it was established about ten years ago.
The officers who look after the affairs of Calumet township are: Chairman, Anton Moersch; supervisors, J. J. Roehrig and Mike Lefeber; clerk, Paul W. Langenfeld; treasurer, Math Mauer and assessor, Joseph Heus.
Among the oldest settlers in the county is Mrs. Margaret Thuerwachter now a resident of Calumet Harbor, who, if she lives until next February, will reach her ninety-seventh birthday anniversary. She is a native of Germany, coming to this country about 1835. Her husband, John Thuerwachter, who has been dead for a number of years was also born in Germany. He came to this country in the early thirties, first settling in Detroit where he remained only a short time. He came to this township in 1841 and it was here where he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Burg. Being one of the earliest settlers in the county Mrs. Thuerwachter experienced the trials and difficulties of the pioneers in this region. She has seen the country develop, by the thrift and industry of its pioneers, into one of the best cultivated agricultural regions in the state. She has resided in the village for a number of years and notwithstanding her age she is unusually active and during the season takes much pleasure and comfort in caring for her home and the little flower and vegetable garden she has in connection with it. Her long residence here has won for her a large circle of friends throughout the entire community and she is held in the highest esteem.
Another respected pioneer of this community sf John Moran who has been a resident of this township for about thirty-seven years. He was formerly a teacher in the schools of this county and at one time was a candidate for the county superintendency. He was a member of Co. G, 36th Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He was at Appomatox at the time of Lee's surrender. Before moving to the township in which he now makes his home he resided in Eldorado.
Business Houses at the Harbor
Bank, Store, Hotel and other Institutions enjoy good patronage
Calumet Harbor is in Calumet township. Its location is an advantageous one in many respects. The township in which it is situated is one of the richest in this part of the state. Crossing it, is one of the best and most traveled highways in the county. The ledge to the east and the lake to the west give an abundance of scenery and add materially to the pleasure of the autoists and others who tour this country.
Have Fine Park
On the shores of the lake, tourists, excursion parties and others find an excellent park for entertainment purposes. H. H. Bergen is the proprietor of this place of public amazement and it is largely through his efforts that the park has become attractive and popular for social functions of various kinds. Mr. Bergen is the owner of a farm consisting of about 120 acres of which thirty acres is now being devoted to park purposes. Berndt and Proctor were the originators of this park in 1893 when they purchased eight acres from Chas. Bergen. Later additional tracts were added to the place of recreation until it attained its present size. In 1897 and 1898 the park was supplied with buildings to be used as a hotel, bowling alley, pavilion, et.
Harbor was improved
H. H. Bergen became proprietor of this popular summer resort in 1907. Four years prior to his acquiring the property the harbor at this point was dredged and other improvements made providing for the landing of the larger boats of the lake. Under the management of Mr. Bergen additional improvements have been noticeable. Today the grounds are dotted with all of the necessary buildings essential to making the spot an ideal summer resort. Several cottages are among the buildings. During the season Mr. Bergen conducts excursions regularly from lake points and upon such occasions has attractive programs arranged for the entertainment of hundreds of guests. Dancing in a pavilon , boating parties, races, baseball and pastimes of such sort are enjoyed.
A Grain Center
Calumet Harbor has become prominent in the county as a grain center. H. H. Bergen and Chas. Bergen are buying extensively and while all kinds of grain are purchased their leading one is barley. During the past several weeks they have purchased over 6,000 bushels of barley weekly, shipping it to the Fond du Lac Malting company. The barley is delivered by the farmers to the dock at the harbor and loaded upon the steamer “Leander Choate” for shipment to Fond du Lac. Other produce and merchandise has also been shipped upon these occasions. Thursday is shipping day and indications are that there will be weekly trips made by the steamer until the lake freezes over. This business feature has proved very successful, much to the satisfaction of the farmers and the promotors. An increased business is assured for next season. The satisfactory prices paid for the barley and the convenience to the producers has had much to do with the success of this venture.
Stockbuying is another leading business enterprise, followed successfully in the village. H. H. Bergen is the stock buyer in this locality and does an extensive business. One or more carloads of stock are shipped to the markets weekly. Malone being the nearest railroad station, shipment are made from this point.
Chas. Bergen is the proprietor of the only general store here and has been engaged in the business continually for the past nineteen years. He is well and favorably known through a territory covering a radius of many miles. He was born on a farm about a mile northwest of the village and remainder there until he entered the business he is now following. Mr. Bergen deals in groceries, dry goods, crockery, shoes, flour, feed, salt, coal, wire fencing, etc. Complete stocks are carried in all lines handled and the patronage is an exceedingly large one. Besides his general business Mr.Bergen has a large farm under his supervision and he is also president of the state bank located here.
The State Bank
An institution that has had much to do with the advancement of this community is the state bank. The Calumet Harbor Farmers State bank was established in 1911. Some years prior to that date a movement had been started to organize a bank and although it was one of the first steps taken in the county for the launching of a financial institution in a place of this size it received much encouragement and every indication pointed to its being successfully started. As time progressed, however, it was deemed advisable not to make the venture at that time and as a result the plan was dropped only to be revived in 1911 when the present bank was organized. Ever since its establishment it has proven its worth to the community and has been a success. The bank has a capital stock of $10,000. The building occupied is a one story brick structure well equipped with banking fixtures and attractively arranged throughout. Besides the general banking business, matters pertaining to conveyances and insurance are given prompt and careful consideration. The total resources of the bank, according to the latest statement secured are $69,760.65. The total deposits are $50,410.84. Each year has shown an increase in business, giving great satisfaction to the officers and directors. Chas. Bergen, who is one of the leading promotors of the institution, is its president. The other officers are: vice president, Anton Moersch; cashier, Arthur Ewald. The board of directors consists of Chas. Bergen, Anton Moersch, Henry Rather, H. H. Bergen, Anton Kait, Chas. Wiegend, Edwin Burg, John Peth and Charles Lohse.
The creamery located here is one of the oldest and largest in the entire county. About thirty years ago the institution was started as a cheese factory by A. P. Brown and was conducted as such for several years. Math. Moersch then became the proprietor and it was changed into a creamery. Six or seven years ago the old building was destroyed by fire and work was at once started on a large and more modern structure. The new building is constructed of cement blocks and is 24 by 72 feet in size. Every important detail has been given the best of attention in the arrangement and equipment of the enterprise. The business is now conducted by Moersch and Son. Q. Moerch is the new member of the firm. The company does a large business. The milk is delivered to the factory and the concern does its own separating. The product is sent throughout the entire county and to various points in the state.
Hotel at Harbor
Calumet Harbor has a hotel that offers excellent accommodations to all visitors. Special attention is given to automobile parties and in this line the house a large patronage throughout the season as it is located on a road that is much traveled by the autoists. This business enterprise was formerly conducted by Lonis Friedman. About a year and half ago the business was purchased by Jos. Gebhardt who is assisted in conducting the business by Grafield Merrill in the sample rooms and his sister Miss Rose Gebhardt, who looks after the kitchen and dining room. Mr. Gebhardt came here from Hilbert where he was formerly located on a farm.
The blacksmithing wants of this locality are carefully looked after by George Reichert who is well known throughout the neighborhood having followed the business for over thirty years.