Monday, October 8, 2018

Fond du Lac's Historic Houses

As I continue to reorganize the photo collection at the Historical Society, I continually encounter a collection of wonderful pictures.  These are a few of my 'discoveries'.

Historic homes in Fond du Lac.  All pictures were taken in the winter of 1946, with notes on the back of each picture as to the house or occupant history.  Probably done by Ruth Shaw Worthing.

(to be continued...yes, there are more pictures coming)


Corner of Sheboygan and Everett. Home of Judge Giffin.

181 Sheboygan. Home of Edw. Phelps, a local lawyeer who was murdered by a disgruntled client.

188 Fourth St.

The home of the Edson family, famous for their woodworking in St. Paul's Cathedral.  On Military near Western Ave.

Home of Julia Tallmadge Ruggles,  who remained living here after donating her home as "Home of the Friendless"

388 Brooke St.


Robert Powrie Home.  Powrie was a stone carver, creating many tombstone and statues for Fond du Lac Churches. 

304 Linden St.  Treleven Home.

Corner of Ninth and Ellis. Steamboat Gothic.

Smallest house in Fond du Lac, corner of Oakwood & Merrill.

E. Second St. near Ellis.

2 comments:

  1. I know most of these homes I mean I know where they6 are located . Great job Tracy! it is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I bought the Edson house in April 2021! I wondered if there was a porch! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete