Thursday, December 3, 2015

Armstrong 1913

This is another of the articles published in The Reporter in 1913, about the history of many of the small communities in Fond du Lac County.

Armstrong Corners, formerly known as Armstrong post office, is situated in the northeast corner of the township of Osceola. It is about seventeen miles from Fond du Lac and nine miles from Eden. Since the discontinuation of the post office here the people of the community are served in this capacity by rural route 42 which extends out of St. Cloud.

Armstrong Corners is the home of the Church of Angels which is of the Catholic denomination. The church being situated in the center of a well settled community it has a large congregation supporting it. Rev. A. P. Kraus is the pastor in charge having come here last spring.

Business Places

The C. L. Pool general merchandise store is the only business of that kind in the immediate neighborhood. It was established twenty years ago. The two story building now occupied was erected nine years ago. Groceries, dry goods, crockery, shoes, notions, etc., are handled. A saloon is also conducted by the proprietors of the store.

The upper floor of the building is used as a dance hall. Dancing parties, wedding celebrations and other entertainments are given in the hall. Holiday dances are a specialty.
The blacksmith shop in this locality is owned by John O’Malley who does general blacksmithing and horse shoeing.

Martin Gallagher is the owner of the Armstrong cheese factory, being in charge for the past six years. The factory is operated by steam power. The average amount of milk received during the year is about 8,000 pounds per day. The output of the factory is shipped to Davis Brothers at Plymouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment