This is another in a series of articles published in The Reporter in 1913. The story features the history of many businesses in small communities in Fond du Lac county.
Dotyville is situated in sections 19 and 20 of the town of Forest, about ten miles directly east of Fond du Lac. The post office has been discontinued and the mail service is now received over two rural routes, the section line which divides the little village being the boundary line of the routes. The routes entering here are number 8 out of the city of Fond du Lac and 36 out of Eden. The officers of the town of Forest are as follows: Chairman, Peter Loehr; clerk Hugh Foy; treasurer Alex Leonard; assessor Charles Kohlman.
Churches and Schools
The church at Dotyville is St. Michael’s Catholic church. Rev. Fr. R. A. Kraemer is the pastor. He has been in this locality for a number of years and is well known throughout the county and state. He has a large congregation. In connection with the church there is a parochial school which is in charge of Sisters. The building is a two story structure and is well arranged for school purposes. In the town of Forest and within a short distance of Dotyville are two Lutheran churches.
Dotyville also has a public school. Lina Mertes has been the teacher for the past two years and has been reengaged for this term. Her home is in Dotyville.
The little village has a new physician. Dr. P. G. McCabe established offices here about a month ago. He was graduated from Marquette college, Milwaukee with the class of 1911. Before locating in Dotyville, Dr. McCabe was engaged in work in a Minneapolis hospital.
Cheese Factory, Stores, etc.
George Basler conducts the cheese factory which has a very large patronage. An average of over 12,000 pounds of milk are received daily. The factory is run by steam power. The product is shipped to the Zinke company of Fond du Lac.
N. Huberty, who has been in Dotyville for the past twelve years and who is well known throughout this section of the county, is proprietor of one of the general stores here. He deals in grocery, dry goods, gent’s furnishings, shoes, crockery, notions and flour.
J. L. Morgan has been in the general store and saloon business in Dotyville for the past eight years. He is well known here. John Richardson and Clyde Orglesby are the blacksmiths for this locality.
The hardware store is owned by Anton Lefeber. Besides dealing in shelf and heavy hardware, Mr. Lefeber does Tinsmithing. He also deals in gasoline engines.
M. Brost conducts a saloon. He is also engaged in the hotel business and gives a special attention to serving auto parties. He is also proprietor for the Dotyville dance hall.